In 2006 my nephew Toby Tweddell was killed by a truck driven by a sufferer of undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), since when I have been intermittently involved (with the families of others similarly killed or seriously injured, medical and other specialists, and road safety and health charities) in an informal campaign to get the menace of OSA dealt with. I've also written the occasional Fortnightly Mailing post relating to OSA, for example:
- 2007 - Sleep apnoea: joined up government needed to prevent road deaths;
- 2008 - Coroner calls for Government action on sleep apnoea;
- 2009 - Finding and treating lorry drivers with sleep apnoea - 13 May adjournment debate in Westminster.
On 20 June my indefatigable MP Meg Munn spoke again in an Adjournment Debate about OSA, this time focusing in part on the inactive "dead sheep" role of the Health and Safety Executive in relation to OSA and truckers. Instinctively I feel that we are now on the edge of making some progress in the campaign.
The links below have more.
- Hansard – Health and Safety Executive debate (Westminster Hall) http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm120620/halltext/120620h0002.htm#12062079000118
- Parliament website – Westminster Hall debates: 20 June 2012 (with useful links) http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2012/june/westminster-hall-debates-20-june-2012/
- 20/06/12 – Politics Home – Meg Munn MP: employers should screen drivers for sleep conditions http://www.epolitix.com/latestnews/article-detail/newsarticle/meg-munn-mp-employers-should-screen-drivers-for-sleep-conditions
- 21/06/12 – IOSH – IOSH cited in Parliament debate on work-related RTAs http://www.iosh.co.uk/news/latest_member_news/mp_cites_iosh_in_debate.aspx
- 22/06/12 – 4-traders – The United Kingdom Parliament : Westminster Hall debates: 20 June 2012 http://www.4-traders.com/news/The-United-Kingdom-Parliament-Westminster-Hall-debates-20-June-2012--14381999/
- 23/06/12 – BBC Parliament – Westminster Hall debate http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kbfq9
- 25/06/12 – The Star – MP in call for probe into work deaths on roads http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/mp-in-call-for-probe-into-work-deaths-on-roads-1-4677099
- 25/06/12 – SHP online – Road accidents warrant closer HSE involvement, MP urges http://www.shponline.co.uk/news-content/full/road-accidents-warrant-closer-hse-involvement-mp-urges