This is the first edition of Fortnightly Mailing in a new format, which I've created using some web log software called Typepad. I've taken the plunge for several reasons.
- Producing Fortnightly Mailing as a hand-crafted HTML page and RSS file has been very time consuming.
- Typepad enables me to write pieces as and when I've thought about what I want to say, rather than at infrequent intervals.
- For the growing number of people who keep an eye on Fortnightly Mailing using RSS, Typepad's RSS feed is far superior to the best I could manage by hand.
- One of the most common responses I got to last year's readership survey was that I provided no easy way for you to respond to or take issue with what I had written. Typepad provides space for you to make comments.
- Individual items have their own unique URL in the event that you decide you want to bookmark something, or send it to someone.
- I want to provide "guests" with the opportunity to write occasional guest contributions. This is much easier to do in Typepad than with the previous system.
You can provide me with feedback on the new version by sending me an email, or by commenting directly on this post. Be warned that despite my best endeavours Fortnightly Mailing will continue sometimes to appear rather sporadically, though hopefully this will be less of an issue than it has been over the last 6 months.